The secret of a safe display is to remember that fireworks are explosives and DO NOT always behave as anticipated. You should arrange the display that if something does misfire, it will cause minimum damage and remember different fireworks mean different hazards.
The British Firework Code offers great advice on ensuring your display goes off safely.
- Buy fireworks marked BS. 7114: Part 2: 1988.
- It is illegal to light fireworks in a public place without permission.
- Follow the instructions on each firework.
- Light them at arm's length using a taper.
- Stand well back.
- Never go back to a lit firework.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket.
- Never throw fireworks.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Never give sparklers to a child under five.
- Keep pets indoors.